You can't defy the laws of project management

You can't defy the laws of project management
You can't defy the laws of project management

Friday 28 February 2014

Do you exhibit the character and behaviour of and effective project sponsor?



 

The major barriers to successful IT change were issues such as executive sponsorship and communications/involvement.


 
Do you exhibit the character and behaviour of and effective project sponsor?
 
  • I accept full ownership and responsibility for the project.
  • I buy into the project and fully support its purpose.
  • I have a strong understanding of the business domain and the concerns of the end users and beneficiaries of the project.
  •  I have produced a thorough and realistic business case and know that there is a valid reason for undertaking the project.
I provide the team with a clear and lucid picture of the project’s aims and
objectives.
 
I clearly articulate what project success looks like and have provided the team
 
 
with a prioritised list of measurable success criteria.
 
I understand that trade-off’s may have to be made between budget, time and
 
 
quality as the project progresses.
 
I continuously validate that the project’s deliverables will produce the expected
 
 
business benefits.
 
I have a high degree of gravitas and respect within the organisation.
I have the authority and control to make decisions over finances, scope and
 
 
resources.
 
I inspire and provide focus to the team.
I set a good example as a role model.
I am able to make (and stick to) decisions.
I avoid making kneejerk decisions and seek to be congruent, timely and
 
 
consistent.
 
I am proactive in the resolution of major risks and issues which come to my
 
 
attention.
 
I actively prioritise requests and features from competing voices.
I have sufficient understanding of the technology involved in software projects.
I understand the challenges in planning a project and accept that a degree of
 
 
flexibility and openness is required from my part.
 
I earn rather than demand respect and I never criticize a team member publicly.
I spend sufficient quality time with the project manager and steering committee.
I monitor project progress as often as a required and I challenge the team when
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment